Photo credits (left to right): Photo credits (top to bottom): Flickr: La Grande Farmers' Market; Flickr: troye owens; Flickr: wikioticslan
Turnips, Parsnips, Beet, Daikon, Radish, Rutabaga, Yuca, Casava, Baby candy cane beets, Black radish, Horseradish root, Burdock root, Galangal root, Ginger root, Wasabi root, Black salsify, Celeriac, Arrowroot
Root vegetables are grown underground, and come in a variety of shades of red, orange, yellow, and white. Radishes have a spicy flavor while beets have a mild taste.
- Choose root vegetables that are crisp and firm (not easily bendable).
- Store in refridgerator in produce drawer for up to 2 weeks or on the countertop for 1-2 days.
- Remove any greens attached.
- Cut up and eat raw alone or with hummus or yogurt dip.
- Slice or shred for slaws or salads.
Why It's Great
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes working, our immune system strong, and our cells growing.
- Vitamin C keeps our immune system strong and helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Vitamin K helps our bodies heal quickly.
- Fiber helps with healthy digestion and keeps us feeling full. Eating enough fiber has been shown to keep our hearts healthy too.
- Potassium, a type of electrolyte, helps build muscle and keeps your heart healthy.
Supreme Mashed Potatoes
Red Beet and Apple Salad
Golden Mandarin Beets
Snow Pea Daikon Salad
Roasted Root Vegetables
Root Vegetable Medley